Friday, March 17, 2017

Good Luck and Dear Green

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I chose a "Luck" and a "Green" to review today. If you're not wearing green... *pinches*



Good Luck by KANG E-Jin



Genre: Shojo
Length: 5 Volumes – 25 Chapters



           The art is pretty at a glance but it has a lot of anatomy problems through out, heads too big, prospective skews, odd poses, etc. Overall, its not bad, though, its pretty average. It does get messier as the volumes progress, as well. The backgrounds are
really lacking and the tones used sometimes are too repetitive or just rather odd looking. The pacing isn't great, either, so action scenes just look like still frames that are not connected. The amateur mistakes show through all too quickly as you read on.
           Rumored to be a person who only brings misfortune is tough, but its even worse when the person also believes it to be true. Can a girl who has had nothing but a terrible life find happiness when anyone she decides to get close to is destined to have a disaster?
           This manhwa is okay in just about every aspect, though some would call that generous. I could tell right from the beginning, when I opened it up, what kind of manhwa it was, too. I've tried others that look just the same, and they all are just as average or worse. I know that sounds harsh, but this story was actually more continuous than most I've read. It was disjointed, don't get me wrong, which is another problem I've had with manhwa in the past, too, but it had a start and finish that match up with out too much wandering. No random time skips, either, a big plus. Settings
and feelings seem to change instantly from chapter to chapter, at one point I suspected that the chapters were out of order because I thought one side of the love triangle had been resolved but it was suddenly a plot point again for some reason? Its just that the characters, and the story itself, sort of muddle around until everything is randomly fixed in the end, with out any sort of rational motive to connect it all. The main character is interesting, she's strong and willing to smile even though she is despairing, but she also changes indiscriminately from chapter to chapter. The many love possibilities sort of come and go around her, one she just randomly meets and then randomly disappears again near the end. He was rather pointless, except for giving advice to the main character to advance her relationship with the main love interest, which she takes back the next chapter. The poor side guy is even given several pages where it is heavily-handedly shown that he and the main guy are good friends and are in love with the same girl, but he is disposed of so quickly. Unnecessary plot twists, all of it, and hard to follow at the same time. The translation was choppy, too, which made reading it even harder (unfortunately another reason I avoid manhwa), though I don't usually factor that into my reviews. Why did I even bother, you may ask? I guess I was feeling generous? I don't know, but it definitely was not worth the time, even if it was amusing here and there. The color pages and faces were pretty, but it was a lie, a vicious trap.



1/5 Don't bother.



See, a very pretty trap.




Dear Green by Amyuu Sakura



Genre: Shojo
Length: One Chapter – 50 Pages



          The art is nice, professional, and has good movement. The eyes are large and expressive, and the hair is pretty and full of personality, too. Very enjoyable all the way
through.
          Shun's older sister is good at everything she does, and Shun has always been a rebellious child, so she's always getting scolded. It doesn't bother her, though, Shun continues her ways happily. Yet, when she meets a very forward boy who seems to like her for being her, she just isn't sure how to behave anymore.
          Very cute. Much fluff. Make smile. Enjoyable all the way through, even if it is a little cliché. Totally washed away the bitterness of the previous review and refreshed me. I'd like to see more of the main character, actually, she's a little naughty and her personality is fun. This taste was a good, well done story though. Much like the last one-shot I read by this author so I think I'll take a close look at their body of work...



5/5 Very cute and well done one-shot about unexpected love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment