Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Dengeki Daisy by Kyousuke Motomi

I severely over-estimated my ability to sit and read manga again on this one, which is why its so late… On an unrelated note, I found this dating sim that's so full of annoying tropes and cliches…



I recommend everyone to try it. Its called My Horse Prince.



Dengeki Daisy by Kyousuke Motomi


Genre: Shojo
Length: 16 Volumes- 75 Chapters and several extras


           The art is strong in style for both the normal and the silly situations, my favorite is the chibi style with the almost duck beak-like single line mouths,

but there are a lot of other details I like, too. I'll list a few: the lopsided eye shapes with the main male character smiles or is angry is also very high on the list, and the energetic poses, in fact just about any of the 'gag' type of art is good. The hair is excellently detailed, along with the clothes and the background art. I wouldn't say the eyes are detailed, but they do have a lot of character and emotion. From hair, eyes, and every other character design aspect, there is very good variation, every character looks much different from the others. Its all very well done, though there are a few issues. For
example, the hands are often too big (a pretty common thing), but sometimes the bodies also looked much too small for the heads, though that happened less and less as the manga progressed. There's a little awkwardness to the movements, too, at first but it also seems to fade. Its very enjoyable to look at and hardly distracts the eye.
           Teru has no relatives left in this world, but she does have one person she can always talk to even if she has no idea what he looks like, a man known as Daisy. Teru's brother left her a cell phone with Daisy's number on it, and she's been talking to him ever since through emails on a daily basis. She doesn't want to trouble him, though, and even though she's having a hard time at school, she never complains. But then, after accidentally breaking a window at school, a guy who's the complete opposite of Daisy has appeared in the form of a blond janitor named Kurosaki. He is forcing Teru to work off her debt since she can't pay for the window, and mercilessly teases and abuses her. All the same, the two men seem rather similar…
           Another one of those manga where I began it before it was completed, and now that it is done, I've returned to it. I have another one to review, too, but I will have to wait a
little while to do so since this sixteen volumer tried to kill me… Putting my health issues aside, Dengeki Daisy is a manga that pulls you along right from the beginning, and the story is actually pretty detailed. It hits a point or two where the humor drops away for serious drama to appear, but not very often. For the most part, its a singular story, even if the earlier volumes aren't nearly as connected as you might think, it all comes together by the end. I reviewed Beast Master a really long time about, so I'm not sure exactly how much I gushed about liking this mangaka then but I'll do a little now. Of all the manga I've read by this author, they all have good humor, strong characters, side characters with lots of charm, and interesting plot lines you don't find in many other shojo manga. This particular one has to do with computer hacking a lot, actually, so every once in a while there has to be some explanations and the like. As a whole, it is rather wordy at times, so it takes more of the full hour to read than some other manga. Usually, the really wordy stuff was when it was explaining the
past, though. Teru isn't the typical shojo heroine, either, she's strong willed and doesn't let her self be pushed around, and not relying on the one person she trusts most. I don't think it's a spoiler, since it's revealed in the first chapter, but the janitor IS Daisy, so the continuation of the story seems hinged on the fact that Teru doesn't know this fact and once it's figured out, the manga will be over. That isn't really true, though, and thanks to the plot set up from the earlier books, the story is allowed to continue all the way to the end with out too much resistance or unrelated outside forces. The two are one of my favorite types, though, the 'idiot couple' and the humor is just how I like it, and the character designs are really appealing to me, and the plot is solid enough all the way through to satisfy me and- Well, obviously it raises a lot of my “flags” so its hard for me to be harsh about it, because I'm so biased. If I have to really dig around for faults, lets see, other than being wordy at times, it also gets a little outlandish by the time it gets to the ending. Over the top, for sure, but its not really too bad for a shojo. Well, that’s really all I can think of. Its not just rose-colored remembrance, though, this is a really good manga that doesn't rely on tropes, in fact it makes fun of them blatantly, and has a strong cast of characters through out. I wish I had been able to read it straight through instead of breaking it up over a week and a half, seriously, its hard to put down.


5/5 Excellence in art, story, and funny bits.



Here's a funny bit:


No comments:

Post a Comment