Monday, October 31, 2016

Halloween Oneshots 2016

Happy Halloween! Just a few oneshots to end the season. I'll add the pictures a little later, I'm not feeling well at the moment so I'm being a little lazy. At least I had fun, and I hope you did, too.


Kurenai Kuraki  by Kazuko Furumiya


Genre: Shojo, Horror
Length: Oneshot - 60 Pages


Spooky and a bit gory, this oneshot has too much story to actually make full sense. Even though it's the longest of the three stories I read, it reads as the most rushed. It feels more like a set up than an independent short story. The girl isn't really built up enough before the spooks happen and the male lead leaves more questions than answers. The art is a little unremarkable as well, making it about average.


2.5/5 An okay read.



Nyanderful by Sekaiichi Asakura



Genre: Seinen, Horror
Length: Oneshot - 26 Pages



A young bakeneko goes out on her first night of haunting the newest heir of the family her ancestors swore to ruin. Silliness ensues. The very cavalier art style and simplistic story are charming and engaging. Just the looks on the faces are funny; the very round head of the main character is great for this, actually. I had a good time, still, I'd be remiss if I didn't also say it was weird. Its no secret that I like weird, though and after having a taste, I wish there was more of the little monster doing her best.


5/5 Sweet and silly.




The End in Common Ruin by Mitsukazu Mihara



Genre: Horror, Supernatural
Length: Oneshot - 9 Pages



A story of two twins who were never apart and wanted to stay together forever. The queen of gothic lolita strikes again! The straight edged art and dark, large eyes gave away the mangaka right away. The story, too, is stark and blunt. Telling a story in such a short time and yet still having such a complete beginning, middle, and end, is wonderful. Definitely right for the season.

 
5/5 Dark and tragic.


No comments:

Post a Comment